Saturday, October 08, 2005

An interesting weekend

Well, we ended up going to the parade. Mr. C and M were very good and Monster left on time so I said sure, why not. It was a pretty short parade, but the kids loved getting out and getting the small bit of candy that was thrown.
It was a good decision for me too on a couple fronts, I got to talk to Pastor's daughter in law and ask her about the schedule that she will need me for her boys in January. It looks like the only day I will have a problem with is Monday and I am thinking about seeing if one of the homeschooled girls that we camp with would be interested in helping me out a bit on Monday afternoons. Not sure what I would pay her, but at least want to make it worth her while with gas prices and all.
It was kind of an interesting day as well; I got a call from my "old friend" A (the one who really hasn't been much of a friend to me). She said she was filling out a job application and wanted to know if she could use me for a reference. I told her fine, no one that has ever used me for a reference has ever had an employer call me anyway. She then proceeded to tell me that she left the internet group that we had joined when we were friends and I left because these people seemed to think that computer was more important than real life and didn't like the little graphics or short posts that I was posting. She told me that no one really wanted to listen to her problems at home and whatnot so she said forget it and left. Really I think that it all boils down to the same problems that we had, the same problems that ruined our friendship. Everything having to be ALL about her and isolating herself and pushing people away not to mention the negativity. Well with her leaving that group she became all talkative and trying to act like nothing had happened between the two of us. I was polite, but tried to make it clear that I am not just the rebound friend that she can turn to when there is no one else around or online for her to talk to and complain to. I am not just there for her to use and abuse.
Actually I have to say that my self confidence has been better since I have not been in such close contact with her, I feel free to be me, free to have and voice my own opinions and not be put down for them.
We also went and visited our old friends that we have not seen since we left the other church Friday night. This left me very thankful for the modest home that we have and our new church and new friends there. This family lives a different lifestyle, they don't use a microwave because of the radiation, no cell phones because the government can track you, women must wear dresses and skirts not pants, there are girl things to do like being a cheerleader and boy things to do like playing football. We were there for a few hours and came back with a whole new appretiation for what a good life we have. They really are nice people, just following a different path. They believe it is the right path and you can't fault them for that, they don't try to push their beliefs on anyone else and don't look down on you because you don't live your life like they do. Just made me very thankful for what I have now.
Today was filled with little things, K went to church to pull out the old furnace so they could put the new one in, planting some hostas around one of our trees out front, some tulip bulbs along the side of the deck and some flowers out on the backside of the pool fence, and doing my Sunday School. I need to clean the house yet, but really don't feel like it so I am here procrastinating. Fun fun fun!

1 comment:

hollibobolli said...

Good for you - sometimes it's really, really hard to break out of those toxic relationships/friendships. But I guess anything that involves the word abuse couldn't be categorized under "friendship". And if you feel better about being free of it.. then it was most definitely the right thing to do.

I need to clean too.. but, um...